SHAPE America - Physical Education
As of June 30, 2019 the Society of Health and Physical Educators (SHAPE America) has discontinued SPA Program Review with National Recognition. Moving forward, EPPs offering licensure, certification, or endorsement programs in the area of physical education will be reviewed using either the CAEP Evidence Review of Standard One (formerly known as CAEP Program Review with Feedback) or the State Program Review option.
- Programs that received National Recognition from SHAPE by fall 2018 will be listed on the CAEP website as nationally recognized until the expiration of that status or contingent on the provider's CAEP accreditation status.
- Programs that had started the SPA Initial Review process for their upcoming CAEP site visit and are in the process of submitting Revised or Response to Conditions Reports to receive full National Recognition are not eligible for National Recognition, but will have the following options:
- They may use the SPA decision report from Initial Review as evidence of program review (CAEP Component 1.3 on the self-study report) and provide evidence of programmatic improvements that have been made based on the SPA feedback.
- If the state allows, the program may select the State Review option and change the status of the program from “SPA Review” to “State Review” for accreditation purposes.
- If the state allows, the program may select the CAEP Evidence Review of Standard One option and change the status of the program from “SPA Review” to “Feedback” for accreditation purposes.
For questions on the SHAPE's decision regarding program review, EPPs may contact Chris Hersl at email@example.com. For questions on program review requirements as part of the CAEP accreditation process, contact CAEPPrograms@caepnet.org.